Christmas Volunteering Trip Musings


In the 2 days Christmas volunteering trip, my friends and I got to experience several unsophisticated conditions. We sat on dirty carpets, walked around wet and dirty floors, brushed our teeth by the tap at the petrol kiosk, smelt stale air and slept simply on the floor with a rug laid. If I can be honest, at some point, it was revolting and I involuntarily retched.

As I was processing this with the Lord, my mind went to the scene of His birth. He was born in dirty conditions, in a smelly manger where the animals live and do their “business” in. If I was there, I could imagine myself having the same reactions like the above, because the conditions were unideal with a revolting smell.

Yet, this is the reality of His first days. This is also the reality of the living conditions amongst the children, the special needs and the disabled, which is already way better than the past abusive and inhumane conditions they came from. Still, the saddening part is not these mere physical conditions; it is the reality of them being unwanted by their own parents and the society at large.

In the midst of the saddening narratives, I saw the hope they carry through their belief in Jesus. Aside from the fun activities and games, the most precious thing I could offer to them was not silver or gold, but comforting factual words that they have a Heavenly Father who loves, wants and will never forsake them, for “though my father and mother may forsake me, the Lord will take me up.” The reality of Emmanuel who shares similar experiences is powerful to heal hearts and trade broken narratives, and this is the definition of religion He desires – “to visit orphans and widows in their affliction.”


Also, I witnessed resilience of the local initiators, volunteers and children. They learn to stand up for what is right even if it is against the norms of what the world expects of them. They – even the youngest being 6 – cooked and take care of each other like blood-related family. The children gave us the precious gift of dance accompanied by Chinese Christian music, learned independently without anyone teaching or instructing them to do so. They gave laughter, love and taught what it means to be unashamed and express the honest need for love through the simple reaching out for a hug. Beneficiaries have capabilities and assets – if only we will see them!


In all, I am thankful for the interactions I gleaned from this trip, travelling with peers who are like-minded with shared experiences to offer empathy, and Jesus who acutely understands and works through available vessels like us to bring the message of continual hope and salvation to a needy world.

Comments