On Ravi Zacharias, An Unexpected Episode

My bubble from May 2020 broke when I woke up this afternoon with the first article appearing on my newsfeed, “Ravi Zacharias Hid Hundreds of Pictures of Women...” I thought he lived a life well - that whatever he portrayed in public was whatever he was in private. What am I supposed to think now?

I thought about the times when I admired pastors and other Christians who held godly knowledge greater than I possessed; spiritual ability greater than I exercised. The charisma they held caused no one to really question. They really seemed like good, helpful people who show to others outwardly that they wholly love God and do His works. But, if you get to really know them in private, you will start to see that they are as human and fallible as you are.

It is hard to think, that they who fervently preached justice and portrayed themselves as godly to outsiders would cover up their inner intentions. They would sacrifice the innocence and dignity of others to get what they truly want. In the end, it leaves the other party hurt, confused, not knowing what to think, while they still go about living merrily with their holy masks. When one encounters such people enough times, they may eventually disassociate with the faith due to myriad of disappointment they faced in those who claimed themselves as so-called “servants of Christ.”

Having said all, I do not discredit that there is / was an impact in their ministries. In the case of Ravi, skeptics and critics were won to Christ - something that not many ministries were able to do. There are many times I had doubts and found a sensible answer through the words of this man.

As much as it hurts that our bubbles were burst in the past, today and possibly in the future, one truth stays the same. The centre of our admiration should not be men, but in the One who has given them the abilities to operate the ministry - Christ Himself.

As much as we will want to disassociate and shield ourselves from further disappointment, we can choose to remember that Christ Himself too held the disappointments we gave to Him when we walked in our own foolish ways. He drew us to Himself, and will still draw us to Himself, however wayward we become.

Pastors, religious leaders, godly people held in great esteem, you and I, are all in need of a Saviour.

Comments