The Heart That Holds This Little Stranger


I am able to acknowledge that God desires a willing and joyful child to walk in obedience. However, in practicality, I sometimes treat the laws as burdensome and heavy, like a thick book of commands I must adhere to. “Do or do not, there is no try. If you want to get blessed and not cursed; rewarded and not punished, then obey.” - that was what I used to receive. Admittedly, I am the legalistic “elder brother” who gives myself close to no allowances for mistakes. I never really understood the heart of God who gives the law.

Reading Deuteronomy yesterday helped me to understand God’s heart afresh, and I hope it will renew my mind, truly transform and translate in the way I walk with Him.

In Deuteronomy, it is a second reading for the new generation of Israelites who are about to enter the promise land. Chapter 1 provides the context - the earlier generations never entered because of their rebellion toward God’s commands, and unbelief toward God’s faithfulness and ability to go before them and fight those giants. Moses retells the law to this new generation before his passing so they will be encouraged to obey and warned against disobedience.

Fast forward to chapter 10:12 onwards, Moses depicts the heart of God who gives the law. God required them to fear, walk in His ways, love, serve and obey Him wholly - not because of what they could get out of these actions, but because it was for their own good. He delighted and loved them so much that He established them as a nation from nothingness. He upheld justice for the defenseless and provided for the stranger. As they were strangers in Egypt and received God’s rescue, He wanted them to do likewise for any stranger that was in their midst.

God’s heart for their obedience to the law stems from His great love. This was something that Israel did not understand.

We obey because we love and have been loved perfectly by Him.

10:18–19 jumped out. I saw myself as the stranger who was given food and clothing by non-biological blood related people. They extended the love they have been receiving from God to me. I was regarded as one of their own; a fellow image bearer of God with the same kingly blood flowing through our veins.

I am thankful that the big Hands that hold the world, and the smaller hands that participate in His plans hold this little stranger. I fear I will forget and walk the usual but assured that He places more than ample amount of reminders via different means.

And for this, I am grateful.

Comments