My Focus Set On Him


Was learning the ropes of skiing today. As I kept my focus on the instructor who told me to move towards him, I could smoothly and gradually accelerate down a gentle slope. It felt great. Midway, I saw strong winds of snow blowing in a perpendicular direction across. Feeling distracted and scared, I fell to the ground. I could not really get up till he came to my aid.

In a split second, my thoughts were directed to the story where Jesus beckoned Peter to come toward him while He walked on water. He was doing great with his focus placed on Jesus. As he saw the strength of the winds, he was afraid and started to sink. Jesus had to reach out to save him. He may have started walking on water in faith, but continuing to walk in faith is as important as the start.

It is interesting to note how the winds did not calm till both of them entered the boat. Jesus could have easily commanded the winds to be calm when Peter was sinking there and then. But, Peter did not need that. Even in the raging winds, as Jesus held His hands, he could still walk on water. Jesus’s rescue sufficed. Looking to Him sufficed.

I realised how easy it is to have a heart swayed to fear and doubt; to let mere winds move the focus away from Him. I hope my life focus will solely rest upon the One who loves me perfectly; the rock of my salvation.

Oh, when I am afraid
I will put my trust in You
I trust in God for what He has promised
I trust in God
So why should I be afraid?
What can mere mortals do to me?

Comments