I Cried Because I Had No Shoes


“I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. Life is full of blessings. Sometimes, we are too blind to see them.”

Was taking a ride from a wonderful lady yesterday. Out of the many nuggets of wisdom mentioned, her citation of the above words lingered within.

Looking back in retrospect, I found myself guilty of not counting the blessings placed before me. Because pain and brokenness were close and magnified feelings, I was not able to look and see beyond that. I recognised my folly.

Ungratefulness is not uncommon in broken humanity.

Adam and Eve had all the beautiful fruits to consume from various trees - even the tree of life. Yet, their eyes were focused on that one tree they were forbidden to eat from.

David was given his masters house, his master’s wives, Israel and Judah. If he regarded all those blessings as little, God explicitly mentioned that more could be given to him (see 2 Samuel 12:8). Yet, he eyed on Bathsheba, a wife of a faithful man who served in his army.

Ananias and Sapphira had a great community to belong to where everyone shared what they had. There was practically no lack (see Acts 5:1-11). Yet, they were not contented and wanted some assets that they could call “theirs.”

There is always a looking out for something better; a greener pasture; what someone has that you yearn to have. It is like taking an infinitely tall ladder, climbing to reach the sky. When will it ever be enough?

May I [and may we] count our blessings till we are brought to our knees in thankfulness before our Giver of all blessings.

O to grace how great a debtor
Daily I’m constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee.
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
(Come Thou Font, Robert Robinson)

Comments