Battling Insecurities

In one way or another, we all got to battle with our insecurities - unless we are perfect, we will always have something wrong to pick on. In the starting chapters of Exodus, we see the call of God for Moses to face Pharaoh head on commanding him to let the Israelites go and worship Yahweh. And, like any other human, Moses battles with his insecurities. What are some of the lessons we can adapt from the story of Moses and from the assurance we have from the bible when it comes to battling insecurities?

Scripture reference: Exodus 1-4 [The State Of The Israelities, Moses's Birth, Moses Call and Encounter with Yahweh]

1) Battle insecurities with God's perfect love.
Fear springs up human insecurity. When God called Moses, wanting to send him to Pharaoh to let the Israelites go, it was the initial fear of not being welcomed back (the past incident of him killing an Egyptian brought Pharaoh to want him dead), fear of facing higher authority, fear of rejection, etc. that sprung out all the insecurities that Moses had within him (2; 3:11; 4:10).

There were times when I could relate with how Moses felt. Those thoughts of insecurities seemed extremely convincing, and if I was not careful enough and allowed those thoughts to cloud my discernment in hearing God’s voice, I would fall into the devil’s trap. The devil plays by fear and insecurity [in the Church], but only love can cast out the plans of the enemy, for perfect love drives out all fear (1 John 4:18).

2) At times we feel unprepared when God has called us, remember that God has readied Himself for us.
God knew that Pharaoh’s heart would be so hardened that he would not let the Israelites go unless compelled by a mighty hand. God was already prepared to show who He is through Moses, but Moses himself was not ready (3:19-22).

Sometimes, it’s not the matter of us being absolutely ready to do what God has called us to do. When God calls us, sometimes we are so focused on being unprepared, and we forget that He has actually readied Himself for us. I realised that this changes the way I pray when God's calling come upon my life. Instead of saying, “God I am not ready. Please wait for a while more till I am ready”, I pray, “Because You have readied Yourself for me, send me, and empower me to do Your will.” (2 Corinthians 12:9)

3) God knows what He is doing. Insecurities ain't any legit excuse to justify that you cannot be used by God.
Moses justified his inadequacy by stating his weaknesses (4:10). Indirectly, he was stating, “Hey God, you need to wear spectacles. You picked the wrong guy.”

I could think of countless reasons why God cannot use me. For instance, I am too young, too skinny, no self discipline, failed countless times - the list goes on. I have 10,000 reasons for my heart to find (hahaha). I realised that when God has called me, He knows what He is doing - He is my Creator! Therefore, I should trust in His power that is made perfect in my weakness, see from His perspective, and fully depend on Him. 

What's Next?
1) Face it. We all do have to battle with insecurities unless we are perfect and flawless. If we do not replace these false thoughts with the truth of what He says about us, it is like placing these false thoughts into another compartment, dismissing the fact that it has never existed. One day, through any random incident, those insecurities will haunt you again. This is not about staying optimistic; this is a battle for the truth.

2) Think about how you have seen yourself - be honest about it. Does this match with how your Creator [the One who knows you inside out] sees you? If you do not know the way He sees you, you will have to find out!

3) When God calls you for something, choose to place yourself in situations where you can see how God's empowerment will come upon you, helping you battle against your weaknesses and insecurities. If you have never tried, you will never fall; if you have never fallen, you will never experience rising again (Proverbs 24:16).

Comments