Lasting Fruits

As Jesus was leaving the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher! What massive stones! What magnificent buildings!”

 “Do you see all these great buildings?” replied Jesus. “Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”
Mark 13:1-2 (NIV) 
While the disciple was drawing Jesus’s attention to the massive stones and magnificent buildings, I believe he was extremely overwhelmed at the beauty and structure of the buildings, and he was expecting to get a response from Jesus, telling him, “Yeah, that’s really nice. What a beautiful sight.” Instead, Jesus gave this unexpected response, “Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down”

These verses reminded me of a man named Alexander the great. He was a great Macedonian king who conquered many kingdoms, had a great army, a sharp sword, conquests and riches. While he was at his deathbed he gave his last wishes to the generals. One of his last wishes was this: “I want both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin. I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world.” 

What an irony for the king to say these wishes! Imagine him being a great king, highly regarded by the Macedonians, and making a request to keep his hands dangling out of the coffin. But yet when he was at his deathbed, he came to a point of realisation, that no matter how much wealth and conquests he achieved while being on this earth, he will still leave this earth empty handed.

My friends, today I believe it is the day where we need to question ourselves the kind of fruits that we are building here on earth. What can we bring with us when we die? We can’t bring along our wealth, properties or our favourite bag. There are only 2 things that will never fade away and they will last for eternity even when we physically die, and they are God’s Word and souls:
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.
Matthew 24:35 (NKJV)

Your word, O LORD, is eternal; it stands firm in the heavens.
Psalm 119:89 (NIV)

And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
Matthew 10:28 (NKJV)

Take notice! I tell you a mystery (a secret truth, an event decreed by the hidden purpose or counsel of God). We shall not all fall asleep [in death], but we shall all be changed (transformed). In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the [sound of the] last trumpet call. For a trumpet will sound, and the dead [in Christ] will be raised imperishable (free and immune from decay), and we shall be changed (transformed).
1 Corinthians 15:51-52 (AMP)
“Watch out what you are building in your life. Building fruits that are temporal may seem grand and marvelous on the outside, pleasuring to the eye, but these are fruits that won’t last. My child, stop wasting time; start being highly purposeful and build fruits that will last for eternity.

This is my prayer today Lord, that I will grow to become highly purposeful and choose to build lasting fruits that will grant me eternal joy.
You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit —fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you.
John 15:16 (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Great inspiration for me this morning Joy; love the verses! "Building fruits that will last for eternity"; this has been on my mind a lot, and I question how faithful and productive I am being? There is so much more to accomplish! :)

    Blessings and hugs dear friend,
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that this has encouraged you! God bless! :D

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the posts or leave a comment.

Alternatively, you may leave a comment on my ComeComment! page

Powered by Blogger.