A mighty warrior


“Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”
Judges 6:15

Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress while the angel appeared to him, telling him that the Lord was going to use him to save Israel. Gideon, judging his own worth, questioned:How can God use me to save Israel when I am the smallest in the clan and the least member in the family?”

When we are out in the wild, in the battlefield, where we cannot see the victory, we tend to look at the tunnel; at the valley of the shadow of death, concentrating on the darkness, and we question God: “Why I am not seeing the victory? When is the victory ever coming?” Even Gideon was focusing on the power and the oppressiveness of the Midanites. Having given over to the Midanites for 7 years, Gideon must be having the thought: “I have to thresh wheat in the winepress forever.

Sometimes, we find ourselves like Gideon, judging our strength and self-worth. When we do things in our own strength, we see our limitations: “But I am the least in the family. How can God even use me? or “I only have this amount of strength. I don't think I'll be able to finish this battle.”

Like Gideon, we sometimes give up and misunderstand God when we don't see His hands moving in the situation: “But the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hands of Midan (Judges 6:13).” We concluded that God wanted to bring sufferings upon us, and he had abandoned us.

Looking at our strength, our self-worth, and having the misconception of the anger that God had, we give up the fight. Friend, today I assure you, that God is never angry with you for the wrong things you have done in the past. Sometimes such sufferings will come upon us so that we will realise that God is Lord over all. Like the Israelites who did not care about grieving God, being complacent and constantly doing evil, they had to go through such trials so that their eyes may be fixed back to the fact that God is the one who saved them, and He is Lord over their lives.

Cease fixing your eyes on the limited strength you have. God gave us this promise, that He'll never leave us and forsake us. Just like what God told Gideon: “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midanites, leaving no one alive (Judges 6:16), God is also giving us strength to strike down our enemy, the devil, just by calling out the name of Jesus.

Gideon had so much fear that he began threshing wheat in the winepress, but God assured him that he will be fine. The same goes for us. When we identify that fear and doubt, claim the promises of Jesus: “I have not given you the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind (2 Timothy 1:7),” the more we shouldn't fear, but begin to strike down all doubts. Jesus has given us the power and authority to strike down the devil because of His death on the cross.

Also, stop focusing on the darkness in the tunnel. David said: “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me (Psalm 23:4).” David knew that the victory is in God's hands. Same for us, we should stop looking at the darkness. Though the darkness blind our eyes from seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, it doesn't mean the light is not there.

God called Gideon a mighty warrior though he looked upon himself as a weakling, being the smallest in his family. Friend, start to fix your eyes on Jesus and the victory that is still there at the end of the battle. Fix your eyes on Jesus's strength, for God is calling you a mighty warrior!

No comments

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the posts or leave a comment.

Alternatively, you may leave a comment on my ComeComment! page

Powered by Blogger.