Wisdom Beyond Horizons



Before you even start reading this, I hope you can take some time to think about this: What is wisdom all about?

Wisdom is defined in the dictionary as the ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight. To me, wisdom means the person is able to see far beyond what others are able to see. The person possesses the ability to allow another person to change their perspective of what they usually think because of their great understanding. Also, he or she is able to discern truth.

However, is this what wisdom is really more about? Is there more to the wisdom we usually thought about or defined?

Reading this verse:
But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere.
James 3:17 (NLT)

This verse set my mind thinking. Is wisdom all about being smart in thoughts? There was more than meets to the eye. It brought my mind to this statement: what would Jesus do (WWJD)?

When we define wisdom as being able to act smart, God goes beyond and states that wisdom is all about love and peace. Wisdom in man's definition means acting right, but wisdom in God's definition means acting right, in love, gentleness and purity. God's wisdom is pure because it does not allow any impure action to take root. This is when you act in God's love and when the person becomes transformed by the love of Jesus, you're doing a good deed.

Put yourself in the shoes of a parent. What will you do when your child does something wrong? Will you cane him because he deserves to be punished? Or will you discipline the child by advising and telling them that this is not what they are supposed to do? When you act in wisdom, you discipline in love; not subject the person to a penalty for the offense that they have committed.

In some point of time I asked for God to punish me because I have done wrong. But I realised that God will never punish me, but discipline and correct me in love. This was when I recognised that God is a God of wisdom. If He kept punishing me because of every sin that I have done, most likely, overtime, I will grow to hate Him because of the punishments induced upon me. Since He chose to discipline me in love, I began to appreciate the way that He works, and I grew to love Him more and more each day. This is what Jesus will do.

"Blessed is the one whom God corrects;
so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty.”
Job 5:17 (NIV)

There are so many situations which we can act wisely. Like what James addressed to the early church, they could choose to overcome their mouth instead of quarreling. However, will you take that wisdom beyond horizons: not merely because you want to act right, but because you want to express God’s love and transform others?

--Special thanks to Valerie for triggering this thought! :p--

No comments

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the posts or leave a comment.

Alternatively, you may leave a comment on my ComeComment! page

Powered by Blogger.