Your Real Identity



I thought I was never going to get out of my past. I thought this was going to be a stumbling block that will not allow God’s presence or healing to come through for my life. I placed the perspective that I have been deducing about myself, from what I have been hearing, to how God thought about me. Little did I expect that this was not the real me…
I realized that I need to find out my real identity: in Christ.

To realize my real identity in Christ, these were some of the things I had to work out:

1) Detect the lies of the enemy
In the past, the enemy may take advantage of situations and lead you to believe that you are a baddie or a troublemaker. Using words like "hypocrite", "useless" and "unworthy", a perfect lie or a constant sounding could mold you and make you think that you are such a person. These lies will even distort your picture of the great, heavenly Father.

He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.
John 8:44 (NLT)

Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
1 Peter 5:8 (NIV)

2) Question your thoughts with the word
God is the living word (John 1:1). When you know that there are thoughts running wild in your mind, and these thoughts are trying to bring you down, or they are shifting you away from knowing who you are, refer back to the word. God speaks through the word.

Few verses to point out:

When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
John 19:30 (NIV)

The finished work on the cross is the main element that would give us a life of victory. Though stuck from our past, Jesus is the one that frees us from the core of our current being and He makes us realize who we are in Christ.

So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death. The law of Moses was unable to save us because of the weakness of our sinful nature. So God did what the law could not do. He sent his own Son in a body like the bodies we sinners have. And in that body God declared an end to sin’s control over us by giving his Son as a sacrifice for our sins.
Romans 8:1-4 (NLT)

God assures that he won't condemn or hate you because of the past wrongdoings. He freed us from the past and from the devil’s clutches by sending His one and only Son to pay the price for all that we have done.

3) Never let the old you determine the future you
“I failed in the past, so I am bound to be a failure in future.” This was one thought that ran over my mind when I felt that I have failed God. I thought that if I was such a person in the past, I may be such a person forever. Maybe the proverb “The leopard does not change its spot” is a true statement in regards to who I really am: I will not change.

Even when I became real with my relationship with Christ, the same thought will run through my head, making me feel that I am not fit to walk with God. God then shook away that thought through this verse:

This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!
2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)

I immediately knew what He was trying to tell me. To realise my real identity in Christ, firstly I need to shake off that thought that the old me will never determine who I will be in future. When I mean business with God and sincerely want to start anew with Him, He gives me a new life: the old has gone and the new has come!

Friends, if you have been thinking negative thoughts about yourself, that what the devil or people spoke about you is your current self, I just want to challenge you today that God is a God who loves you and He wants you to find out your new identity in Christ. Even I am trying to realize who I really am in Christ. So ask yourself: Do you think the current you is the real you in Christ?

2 comments:

  1. This is a great post. It certainly does map to what I was writing about in Proverbs. You've done a great job describing our new lives in Christ. All it takes is believing. :) It's an important message for people to hear. He is a God of love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah wad a great God we serve: the God of love! :D

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the posts or leave a comment.

Alternatively, you may leave a comment on my ComeComment! page

Powered by Blogger.