“Why did this happen to me?”

WHY OH WHY??

When illness struck you, when problems arise, or when tragedy happens, and you feel that you are struggling in life, you may ask God: “Why did this happen to me?” Today, God led me to two people in the bible that suffered a lot, and He referred me back to my own situation.

The first person is Job, which I think most Christians would have read about in the bible. Since the devil came with the angels, to God, God told him to consider Job, who was a blameless and upright man (Job 1:1). However, the devil challenged by saying that, since tragedy hasn’t come upon Job’s life yet, if everything in His life were to be struck, Job will start to curse God (Job 1:10-11).

The second person is Paul, an apostle called by God. After God revealed Himself to Paul (Acts 9), he started his ministry. Being in chains for Christ, he suffered hardships for Christ’s sake.

These people are the people who followed God faithfully. Why, then, will sufferings come upon their lives?

Does it mean that we will only praise God when things are good, and blame or curse Him when we are suffering? Even when situations makes us feel that God is not there, or the sufferings is something unbearable, will we give up on God, or choose to thank Him and continue to place our trust in Him in every situation?

Job still continued to praise God even when sufferings came upon Him:

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away;
may the name of the LORD be praised.”
Job 1:21

For Paul, he decided to take pleasure in His weakness:

That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12:10

Similarly, for us, instead of asking God: “why are these sufferings happening to me?” We can choose to adopt the attitude of Job and Paul:

We may not know how to explain those situations which is bringing pain or weariness to us, but one thing we can do is to believe that, since God is bigger in our situations, nothing is too hard for Him. Choose to take delight in the present situation, so that all glory may go to God when we are healed, or when the tide is all over.

1 comment:

  1. This is an excellent post! Thanks so much for sharing it : )

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the posts or leave a comment.

Alternatively, you may leave a comment on my ComeComment! page

Powered by Blogger.