Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!


The kingdom of the devil is nothing but hopelessness...

Scrolling back to all the previous post I had typed, I analysed that all these posts had been talkin a lot about Jesus. I just thought if I could now put a bit of my focus to our enemy: the devil.

I begin with the contents of this post, titled Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

What is the most suitable word to describe the devil? If you ask me, I would say liar. The devil’s life is always full of lies, and it’s as though if he doesn’t lie each day, he can’t pass his day. My friends sometimes may pass out this comment when someone lies:

Liar! Liar! Pants on fire!

Well, a true description I would say. The devil’s pants are always on fire, in that hot burning furnace. And we can become easy targets for the devil to fool. In what easy circumstance may we become preys to the devil? Today, I am going to list them out.

1) Shakeable faith
This was what I learnt during my discipleship lesson a few weeks ago. The title of that lesson was man’s creation and fall. Why did Adam and Eve fall into the devil’s trap? It was because the devil offers half-truths, and, instead of turning to the Lord, Eve took matters into her hands, and, while her faith was not yet strong enough, she fell into temptation.

Let’s identify this with our daily life. Given an example, you have decided to lose weight. You drafted out a healthy diet and strongly decided to force yourself to stick to that diet. However, one day, when you were shopping, you passed by a candy confectionery shop, where the shop sells nothing but sweets, chocolates, and sugar biscuits. And your mind is fighting a fierce battle: the right side advised that you should wait till you have successfully lost weight, but the left side kept convincing you that eating a few of those snacks did not really mean harm to your weight. Well, I will wait till tomorrow then. Gave into temptation, and walked in to buy those sweets. What would be worse when you spotted this sign: ON OFFER! BUY ONE GET ONE FREE! WHILE STOCKS LAST!

Both scenarios suggest this: your faith is shakeable. If your faith is not strong in the Lord, when you meet with temptation, you are going to give in. If you have not been reading the bible for ages, or have not prayed for a long time, it is time to do so, if not, you will be finding out that you have been living a life full of sin. You need unshakeable faith to overcome temptation.

Misconception: temptation is sin. Definition of temptation: temptation leads to sin. However, temptation is never sin!

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
1 Corinthians 10:13

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.
Matthew 6:13

2) Trials
When you are faced with a problem, the first thing you should do is to turn to Jesus. However, will you still listen to Him when this problem just seemed unable to solve?

For me, until now I have been praying for a restoration of peace to be brought into my family. A year has passed. Yet God just doesn’t seem to be moving. In times like this, it became the best time for the devil to show up. Saying stupid things like: where is God when you are in need? Look! He has forgotten you and forsaken you! However, I will choose to put my faith in Jesus even though the devil may paint a beautiful picture that Jesus is deceiving me. For He assured that He will never leave and forsake me (Hebrews 13:5).

I sometimes compare myself to those people who are living in other countries and are persecuted because of their faith in Jesus. Going to the website the voice of the Martyrs, I took a glance at those people’s faces that are locked up in jail. And I ask myself: what is my faith compared to these people? Even though they are persecuted and tortured for their faith, they still listened to the assuring voce of God, telling them that He will always be with them. All those persecuted people hold on to this: because Jesus is worthy, I will endure all the pain with Jesus beside me. I wondered if I will be like them, when being persecuted, will I still hold on to the promise that He has given me It all sums up with this question: are we willing to listen to the assuring voice of God, even in tough times?

Therefore, since we know that our God never leaves us, we need to pray that our ears will never be opened to the devil’s voice. Since Jesus is our victory, we need to understand that His voice will always be louder than the devil, surpassing the devil’s voice. What you can do later is to rebuke and ask the devil to shut his mouth up. For he is nothing but lies!

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance
James 1:2-3

But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
1 Peter 4:13

3) Anger
People get angry easily, even for a simple matter. I remembered when I was an addict to a mobile game named doodle jump, I would pay for hours. Whenever the cute little green person drops, I will start to get angry. And later, the side effect comes. I will transfer all the anger I had on the game to other people, for instance, my family members who were always my easy target. Thankfully, I got out of this addiction.

Similarly, when we are angry, for example, when a person constantly fails us, we start to get angry. However, never shift your perspective that a person may give you onto God. If you do that, the voice of God will move further away from you, because you are angry at God, you will not listen to Him. The devil may spur you on and tell you: come on! Be angry at God! Remember, the devil’s pants are on fire.

“In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.”
Ephesians 4:26

Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.
James 1:19-20

4) Fear
One of the roots to fear is worrying. Take for an example, when you are studying in secondary school. Because of the competitive nature you have, you decided to vie for the first place in class. However, you start to worry: oh no! There is a science test tomorrow! Ok, and so, you started putting your focus on science, but, unfortunately, forget that you have a social studies test tomorrow. Then you start to fear if you can get a quality pass for your science. Then you kept forcing yourself to do revision papers. Later, at school, during the first period, the social studies teacher came to announce: ok, let’s start with the test. In your heart, you start to blame yourself for being forgetful. There goes the battle for the first placing. For students, it is important to recognise that studies are not really everything after all.

I would admit that this is not the best example for the root of fear, but it is quite similar to what I am going to say now. I believe in life, everyone may have something we need to worry about every day. Deadlines may be one of the causes we may worry about. Worrying those deadlines may not be met, we start to fear if our work would be a good one. Good for us if it’s a quality work. If not, getting scolded by our superior my not be a good thing after all, especially if this is happening every day in your work. Then the devil start to implant thought in your head: do you know why you fear? Because Jesus is not here!

Another tactic the devil may use to impose fear on us is insecurity, especially when you are all alone. For me, having lived with my family members for so long, I am used to having people around me. Then, a few years ago, while I was alone in a public toilet, some playful kid came to close the door and switch off the lights. Feeling totally stunned, all that was going through my mind was loneliness. I realised I feared being lonely, without anyone around (Just want to clarify, for everyday business like being in the shower, its ok for me, but for such happenstance, my fear showed up…) And so, at that time, it was the best timing the devil could counter an attack: hey look! Where is your Jesus when you fear? Randomly, I chanced upon my mobile wallpaper and saw these few words: with God nothing is impossible. So, in my spirit, I shouted back the devil to flee from my presence, for I have a powerful God. I thank God that my fear of loneliness was partially removed, and He is constantly reminding me that He will never leave and forsake me. I cherish this promise a lot (But, for now, I am still unsure if that fear was totally gone... Maybe I will test it out... One day...)

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:34

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
Psalm 23:4

Now, I shall conclude this post with a few points we all need to note:
  1. The devil offers half-truths, and half-truths are not true words at all, so take guard and don’t listen to the devil
  2. Strong faith is required so that you can be wary of the devil’s lies. Do so by constantly praying, reading God’s word, and applying this to your daily lives.
  3.  Even when you are going through tough times, Jesus is always with you, for He is our Immanuel. Continuously pray and place your faith on Jesus to believe He will carry you through the storms.
  4.  Even though the voice of the devil may sound assuring, you should not give in to his voice, but rather, listen to the voice of God and command that liar to shut up, with the power and authority in Jesus name.
  5.  One of the fruit of the spirit is self-control, and you need this so that you will not be easily angered and turn away from Jesus just because you are enraged. Pray that the spirit will always remind you to be holy, just as how our Father is. Be an imitator of Christ.
  6. Do not worry too much about life, but cast your cares upon the Lord and believe that His ways is the best for your life.
  7. If you have any fears in your life, keep praying that this fear will be taken away from you. It may be hard, but remember: with God nothing is impossible!
  8.  The only weapon to cease the lies of the devil is Jesus, so shout back to the devil with great boldness. (James 2:19, Revelation 12:11)



I hereby apologise that the post is wordy, but anyway, I pray that you will learn something from this post. God bless and may you have a good week ahead! :D

No comments

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the posts or leave a comment.

Alternatively, you may leave a comment on my ComeComment! page

Powered by Blogger.